sponsors :

Wednesday, 15 February 2012

303



303 was the combination of my first bike lock, an ancient piece of kit that probably would have opened anyway with a bit of force, but there it is. You never forget these things. It came with my very first grown up pushbike which gave me the freedom to explore. 

whenever the number 303 came up anywhere i would remember my padlock. i still do.


Skip forward to my rebelious teenage years, (1983 to be precise ) an i find myself hitch-hiking along this road to find out where my girlfriend had got to. Its a main trunk road in the south of England, linking London and the start of the heavenly counties of Devon and Cornwall. Any london surfers will know this road well. Its that number again.



The A303 goes right past a place called Stonehenge, which was the site of a free festival. I found my girlfriend, i found my friends and made some more friends. - lifetime friends as it turns out.

 You could say i discovered a sub-culture and dived in head first. So did many other people, the following year saw over a quarter million people roughing it in  the fields  for a free party. That particular time is worthy of another post so i`ll try and stick to the thread.


there is a slight chance you dont know what Stonehenge is, and - if you live in the uk and have never been - shame on you.



These parties worried the government , so they were stopped in 1985 by use of violence and sheer manpower. it would be many years before anyone other than paying tourists would be allowed anywhere near what i still see as " our stones ". 

This spirit could not be quashed so the free-party continued elsewhere, and grew.
and grew. i myself organised many a party in the 80`s, but had to stop when the numbers got out of hand. i moved into the clubs in the 90`s, but that`s another story.


by 1988, everyone wanted one of these.
the Roland Tb303



this little silver box, unwanted by musicians when it was released in 1981, produces noises which touch your very soul. This is no exaggeration as anyone who has heard one of these through a p.a. will tell you. these now change hands for incredible amounts of money.

Again, this is worthy of another post, which i think is best left to other people. Please check out this blog ( my friend wayne anthony i think ? ) - < click here > for an eye-opening history.

so there we have it.

303 and me.

Thanks for reading.





27 comments:

  1. A number that revolves in the mind forever, I do it with numbers and counting....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everybody needs a 303 in their life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stonehenge is a place I would like to visit one day.
    Certain numbers always seem to stick in my head as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would love to visit Stonehenge, also I think most people have at least one number they see every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really nice read , never been to Stonehenge myself though and i only live in the midlands :\ need to get down there soon .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i go every year, on the summer solstice. the public are allowed in the stone circle and the atmosphere over night when everyone is waiting for the sun to come up is indescribable.

      Delete
  6. Fascinating how certain numbers resonate in our lives. And hey, I've been on the A303 too! I was one of those gazillion tourists who have visited Stonehenge. So magnificent, lovely and moving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting man! Btw my first bike lock was 301. And I still want that last 303... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dont we all !!, and to think some guitar shops threw them away ! some software comes close,, but never the real thing.

      Delete
  8. Interesting how things can be found when looking for numbers, who know if it has true meaning or is just us looking though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. human beings look for patterns, its how we run.

      Delete
  9. How interesting! It's funny how even little things like numbers can have meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet your 303rd post is gonna be something epic. Also, 303rd follower is gonna be your guardian angel or something?

    No worries. Me too. I've got my number.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I touch myself 303 times a week. D:

    ReplyDelete
  12. I appreciate relationships with numbers. They last a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I lived in Cape Town in 1983. We had a red telephone on a glass table in a room with a blue carpet. The number was 778382. It's strange that I should remember this number, as I usually can't remember them at all. Perhaps it's because the house holds many secrets and bad memories.

    Stonhenge! Deep, deep envy! Rock on, dude! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't the druids claim Stone Henge as theirs? It looks like a good place rub off your body parasites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they do, and it isnt. the stones are good for leaning against when you`ve been on yr feet all night.

      Delete
  15. I made it to Stonehenge once and it really is mystical there in the plains.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Number relations are interesting. I see stuff like this all the time. It happens with virtually anything as well. Once you learn of a new (to you) band, you hear them *everywhere*. I myself tend to try to find a relation in random numbers. If I see, say, 236 on a license plate, I look at them and say 'hey, 2*3 is six!', 6 must be significant to them (I'm sure it's not :P)

    ReplyDelete
  17. love the title of your blog... and you are a terrific writer. just spent a good amount of time browsing and looking at your posts. you have a new follower! looking forward to your future posts, and i would love to stay connected! it's always nice getting inspirations from other bloggers. wishing you all the best, and have a great wknd!
    xoxo
    jasmine
    http://adamalexmommy.com

    ReplyDelete

My Zimbio
KudoSurf Me!