sponsors :

Monday, 6 February 2012

Thumbs Up



this is a thumb. - 




...and this is an axe.

Ideally speaking, these two things should never really meet, not at speed anyway. 
If an axe meets a thumb and brute force enters the equation, things can get rather messy. If you are lucky, the axe is sharp and you get to keep the bit you axe-indently chopped off.

I didnt mean to chop the end of my thumb off in 1992,, i had walked the 5 miles home  to chop enough wood to get the Rayburn going , knowing full well the guys were out getting drunk and the only girl in the house wouldnt  go near an axe. Winter time is no fun in wales if you have no income, so i felt duty bound to at least try and keep the house warm. The whole house depended on the #Rayburn for heat, hot water and cooking.

There is a right way to sharpen axe,, and there is a wrong way to sharpen an axe.
Get it wrong, and the least painful result is you get the axe stuck in a log. I had started to put a fresh edge on the axe earlier that day, but didnt get chance to finish. oh yes,, of course,, i forgot and went at it with gusto. 
choppitty - chop -chop - chop -split- chop -chop - oh dear. 

i may have sworn at that point, i cant really remember. The shock hit me like it usually does and i started to pass out. 
to be fair, i got a lift to a hospital by ambulance when i didnt really need one. The axe had bounced and came down with full force ( and a blunt edge  ) onto and, ahem.. through my thumb. Past the knuckle and through the nail luckily for me.

yes,, it hurt.

having it quarterised every week wasnt exactly comfortable either - but the worse thing about the experience was having to have a large comedy bandage on my thumb for 2 months.

You would think it would help with hitch-hiking,, but it doesnt. Drivers are too busy laughing to think you might be asking for a lift. 

thank you drivers of wales.

As it turns out, having a small amount of thumb missing and a really strong nail means i can open boxes like a boss; came in very useful in a factory environment.

Why am i blogging this ? , well it just happened again. nowhere nearly as bad mind ,, i may have a black thumbnail in a couple of days.

Thanks for reading, 


19 comments:

  1. Ouch, must have hurt like hell, always great to be able to open tough boxes though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This must hurt really well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. as hurty things go,, its right up there...

      Delete
  3. Yeah I'd say the fonzie bandage was probably not so great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch, love the comedy thumb & to be able to open boxes like a boss . . . Quality :))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you've still got a sense of humor about the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Get rid of your axe and never touch another one! Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ouuchhh i once axed my foot on accident and that pierced my toe :X
    i hope you feel better

    ReplyDelete
  8. i hope i never have a similar experience :X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damn... "these two things should never really meet, not at speed anyway" cracked me up XD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha yeah I will remember not to mix those two things

    ReplyDelete
  11. As I was reading this, I knew what was coming and my stomach started to tense up and then you got to that point and I could just see it happening. And then that bandage you had to wear. I feel for you, I do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stay away from axes but I'm loathe to recommend a chainsaw....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me and sharp things dont go well together. chainsaw ? no.

      Delete
  13. I keep wondering how you are even typing at all! Ouchie! I'm so sorry that this happened. It sounds just awful. I hope they at least gave you the good meds. Take care of yourself and be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ouch! I guess once every 20 years isn't bad though

    ReplyDelete

My Zimbio
KudoSurf Me!