sponsors :

Thursday, 23 February 2012

well sprung.



I`m not sure when the first day of spring actually is,, but today sure feels like it.


this lonely looking thing is the one crocus to brave enough to poke its prettiness through the soil.
i like to have a cup of tea and a smoke first thing in the morning , sitting outside and taking in the sky ,thats when i spotted this little trooper.

i must have planted 100 bulbs over the past 5 years, this is the first one to come up, - (there must be some sort of crocus dance that i`m neglecting. i`ll look it up.) . 

the first batch of blue tits have already come and gone, but they dont mess about. they get it over and done with before the winter ends,, i expect to see the next lot and their ratty feathers that dont fit , in the next month or so. 
there is another little twittery type flitty thing that nests round here too, but i`m not sure what they are. when the young start exploring, they all appear at once, in the same trees, at the same time - every day. you could set your watch by them, but i wouldnt recommend it. Another month or two will see the blackbirds nesting next door again , excellent  for letting you know when the rain is stopping, really good for letting you know that a cat shape piece of bush ten miles away is threatening the nest. - wound up black-birds and relaxation do not go hand in hand.

 i live on a hill over looking the town with the best view of the skyline. at night the neon strips compliment the taller buildings, a bit of blue here,, a bit of green there. the local college art facility is a multi-floored building with ever changing patterns of colour running down the sides. it really is quite pretty at night.

Twice a year,, around the equinoxes, the sun is in just the right place as it sets, to light up every widow in the office buildings ; the most incredible golden shine comes off the town for 3 or 4 minutes. it`s stunning to see, but you have to be really quick ( and in the right place ). if i could get a decent photo of it , i would. believe me, i`ve tried.

thanks for reading.

28 comments:

  1. Living on a hill overlooking a town must be wonderful. Have you ever felt like riding into town on a horse, like Clint Eastwood?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sixteen degrees here at the moment and the sun is shining.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. No peeking flowers where I live yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm. I am sure the feel of spring is great. I am not a garden person but love flowers.
    www.thoughtsofpaps.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful flower, nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sun is trying to shine through but winter is determined this year. Crocuses always give me hope that Spring is on its way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should keep trying to take a picture of it because I'd love to see it. I know that one day I saw a perfect sunrise, it was in the city. I was just sitting outside of a 7-11 imitation and there it was, oh the beauty. Even then it was nothing like what you described.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i`ll give it another go,, it happens around the middle of march.

      Delete
  8. it was a very green winter...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You weren't planting those bulbs upside down, were you? Apparently that's a common problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. some upside down, some the right way up, different depths - everything. they just dont like it in my little garden.

      Delete
  10. This is a warm winter, it is 80 degrees here in South Louisiana. So hot...ughh. I would offer insight on the plant, but I tend to kill them, not make them grow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought Spring was on the way to Chicago but....we got snow today! NOOOOO.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. it has been really hot for me the past few days as well, it sure is starting to feel like spring :p

    ReplyDelete
  13. That view you described there at the end is something I would seriously love to see.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am itching for Spring to come like NOW. I would die to have a view of a skyline - you must share pics one day ;)

    Stumbled upon your blog and wanted to leave a comment! Let's stay connected! I am following your blog now. Please visit mines when you have a chance a follow me too if you like it, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I guess watching plants grow is pretty relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't wait for spring. I've been seeing a few pretty little flowers popping up so I'm excited! Following you, hope you can stop by and follow if you like.

    xo erica

    ReplyDelete
  17. Replies
    1. i have heard, that in fact , the bird is the word.

      Delete
  18. gardening can definitely be therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow one out of a hundred. Thats the 1%.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, it looks like I'm the only one in the Southern Hemisphere, here! We're having one last hurrah, as summer gives us a final thrill! The flowers are all in full bloom and all our little birdy-birds are trying to get one last nest of eggs in before autumn! It's rather glorious and stinking hot, too! My favourite!

    Those crocuses are lovely! We don't get them here, it's not cold enough. We do, however, get a wide variety of other bulbs in spring that are just stunning! I can't wait!

    I live in a country suburb, so it's still pretty leafy. The view from your house sounds awesome! I love it when the light changes. My favourite time of day is twilight. I love watching the light go from all the reds and pinks to the nocturnal blues, just before the dark! Magic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. spring cannot come any sooner where I live (Canada). Good read :)

    ReplyDelete

My Zimbio
KudoSurf Me!