sponsors :

Wednesday, 14 March 2012

Facebook

I think it is safe to assume a couple of things : 

1. -  you are reading this on some internetweb enabled device, maybe a phone, maybe a laptop, maybe a shiny new tablet that cost way too much ....

2.  - you have heard of facebook.

there he is, with a face that only a mother could love.
Mark Zuckerberg

On the off chance you have not heard of facebook, no. i`m going to stop there because i cant see how that is possible. - everywhere you " go " on the vast and glorious internet these days, you see this.


find us on facebook,, really ? will that button link straight to your facebook page ? yes, yes it will, so there is no finding involved is there? point click and there it is. 

At this point you maybe thinking that i have  something against facebook. not at all, i love the potential of these things, forums and message boards have always fed the social animal that lurks in all of us. its gives the underdog a chance to be heard.
 many a time i`ve been in multi-way conversation with people i sort of know and walked away thinking " i wish i`d have said ... ", facebook gives you the opportunity to be witty and concise for anything up to a couple of days after the original statement. 


zero points for anyone who tried to click this image.
( .....if you genuinely like this post and you want to share on facebook, be my guest. )
the button is up there on the right.

i have used facebook, i cant deny it. when i do i really enjoy it, but it brings out the worst in people and that, i`m not keen on. 
there is a phrase that says : familiarity breeds contempt . facebook is living proof of this, i ended up really not liking some of the people i knew in real life. i saw a meme over on tumblr that said : facebook made me hate the people i know, but tumblr helps me love the people i dont.

Douglas Adams was way ahead of the game in 1978 with hitchikers guide to the galaxy : 

The Belcerebons of Kakrafoon Kappa had an unhappy time. Once a serene and quiet civilization, a Galactic Tribunal sentenced them to telepathy because the rest of the galaxy found peaceful contemplation contemptuous. Ford Prefect compared them to Humans because the only way Belcerebons could stop transmitting their every thought was to mask their brain activity (or its readability) by talking endlessly about utter trivia. 

...thats roughly what goes on over on facebook, endless, mindless reposting, quotes lifted off sites with genuine credibility, profound statements with no connection to reality at all. just eaten some toast have you ? fascinating. i`m going to like the post anyway, just in case you were thinking i`m not really your friend, besides i would like to be invited to one of those amazing parties that you go to and and and.....

......and relax.

there maybe 500 million users on facebook, but there is more to the internet than just mark zuckerburg`s vanity project that got out of hand. sorry to break it to you in such a harsh way, but its true.

 i offer my  services willingly to family and friends, i`ve been using the internet for a long time and have a fair idea on how to get the best out of it. - but come on people, why spend 15 minutes on the phone asking how to do something when you could have googled it.?

......breathe in....., and...out.

and finally .... 



so if you want to get in touch, please use the phone. or even - now steady on, you could always knock my door.< gasp >

comments more than welcome.

thanks for reading,  i may need to relax somewhere for a while.











33 comments:

  1. i'm not really sticking with facebook to communicate with family members and friends..
    traditional way as calling or texting by phone, writing letters and emails still much comforting to use..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so true,, hiding behind facebook is becoming way too common.

      Delete
  2. Interesting. I really like facebook, but I also understand if people don't like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i found that the only bits i really enjoyed were the face palm moments. i found i could satisfy this need quite happily over at failbook without feeling guilty about finding them so entertaining.

      Delete
  3. I wholeheartedly agree with htis post. I have even gone as far to threaten my friends on facebook with banning them from not only my online life but real life as well, unless they stopped posting what they were having for tea or watching on the tv.

    Theres a time and place for that sort tosh, its called twitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i`ve composed and deleted a reply to this comment 5 times now, imagine if facebook went down tomorrow ...how would anyone know when birthdays are ?

      Delete
  4. Facebook is only really effective if you have a myriad of friends and I don't. I only keep mine for messages and certain band updates, other than that, there's no point, no one reads what I post anyway, so why bother?! The vast majority of people who use this service are just a bunch of selfish, self centred berks, in my opinion!

    I agree that it brings out the worst in people. If I could give anyone any advice at all, it would be to NEVER friend family members on Facefuck! They should really be kept on a need-to-know basis! Unless, of course, you want them interfering in your business and criticising everything you post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh dear, i guess i`m not the only one. the uber-cool now live on twitter apparently.

      Delete
    2. Screw them! WE are the people! Haha! :)

      Delete
  5. Me and Facebook have a hate/like relationship, I hate that I have to like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Douglas Addams nailed it! I had a FB account for 2 months. It was an appallingly inane waste of time. I deleted my account and have been happily off FB ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Facebook is not about communicating with friends, it's about showing people you have friends to communicate with. Otherwise everyone would just use email.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my thoughts exactly., well, not exactly. my version involved a lot more swearing and highly specific insults.

      Delete
  8. I deleted my FB account because I am tired of trite and meaningless relationships. I had 150 "friends" on my account and when my mom died only 2 bothered to send me a sympathy card. It made me sad that my world had become so shallow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So let me get this straight you're not on Facebook:D

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's great to get that all off your chest. I'm not a fan of facebook, but I don't feel bad for using it either. Then again, I use it differently than most. Find it useful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't stop using it, the only way I can stop logging in is to just deactivate my account, arghh!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not on Facebook, I really have no use for it. Should get me one of those t shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just use it to stalk people, don't really post much myself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like my fan page, but not my personal page. Once gossip starts or there is "mess" between a few people, I don't like it being involved on my FB acount.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If Zuckerberg is so darned wise, why did his top-notch tech dudes split, followed by his wife?

    By the way, I loved the blue t-shirt and believe I will have one made.

    Mark has to be in cahoots with the F.B.I, CIA, NSA and God only knows whomever else. All the private information he has gathered isn't just for marketing, do ya think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. physcological profiling can be an expensive game, unless you have access to facebook database.....just a thought.

      Delete
  16. Well one time I was hooked on it. Now I dont even go on my personal page as I found gossip and people I dont know being bitchy. I know endless amount of people that have fallen in trouble because of facebook. If you notice I dont even have a thoughtofpaps facebook page to like set up in my blog:)
    www.thoughtsofpaps.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not a fan of Facebook either, and while we have a big web presence, we don't have a Facebook page. I don't care if someone 'likes' us. Just come to our page, read our blog, and share your thoughts. More personal than a stupid little thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Totally agree Facebook is a huge load of garbage that needs to die. Who cares about all that crap like boo hoo I can't poo..lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi there crowbloke,
    I am replying via my "Etch-A-Sketch", soooooooo bear with me....
    Ah yes, Farcebook, everyone's favourite social 'notworking' site. There are some 'benefits' to Farcebook such as my um Farcebook 'friends' get to be thrilled beyond any adequate adjective, my vastly important to their lives, profile updates. Such as, 'I went to the kitchen and made a cup of coffee. Then I took the coffee into the living room and aahhhhhhhh spilt it on my Etch-A-Sketch.........'

    ReplyDelete
  20. well i dont really see a point on having hard feelings for facebook. everybody makes it how they want dont they? if you dont want to tell people ure taking shit right now so dont its really that simple.

    but nicely written i have to say

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks., although i have no hard feelings for facebook. i`ve seen more old friends re-united through facebook than through , er. . friends-reunited.

      Delete
  21. DONT BLAME ZUCKERBERG, USE YOUR FACEBOOK ACCOUNTS WISELY.

    I LOVE FB

    ReplyDelete

My Zimbio
KudoSurf Me!